So on an off chance I followed a link posted by Brian Brown claiming to discredit every single argument for for marriage equality. I wrote long response to each of the points, which a lot of people responded rather well to, so I thought I’d try to turn it into an article.
However there’s a lot of content which I want to deal with so if you’ll excuse a few articles in quick succession, I’m going to address each point, and write a response to it.
Here’s the list of “defeated” arguments, and as I put up each article, I’ll update the links.
- Marriage has evolved throughout history, so it can change again.
- Same-sex marriage is primarily about equality.
- Everyone has the right to marry whomever he or she loves.
- Same-sex marriage won’t affect you, so what’s the big deal?
- Same-sex marriage will not lead to other redefinitions.
- If same-sex couples can’t marry because they can’t reproduce, why can infertile couples marry?
- Children will not be affected since there is no difference between same-sex parents and opposite-sex parents.
- Opposition to same-sex marriage is based on bigotry, homophobia and religious hatred.
- The struggle for same-sex marriage is just like the civil rights movement of the 1960s.
- Same-sex marriage is inevitable, so we should stand on the right side of history.
If you want to read the original article, its here.
Of course the simple idea that I want to marry the woman I love and spend the rest of my life with her is never addressed beyond being told that desire is disgusting and immoral.